January 14, 2012

Resolutions 2012

It's that time again: time to set some lofty goals for myself to keep me on my toes in 2012. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well my goals for 2011 went given the number of mammoth obstacles. I managed to accomplish many of them in spectacular style: I travelled to a several amazing places; I got the opportunity to work with teens; I grew as a writer/editor, and got a lot more comfortable calling myself one.

Hey there, 2012. I've got a good feeling about you.

Resolutions:

1. Finish Novel #2 and start shopping for agents. I'd hoped to have this done by now, but I'm actually glad I didn't. A few extra rounds of editing have made my story so much better than it would have been had I rushed it. I feel confident now that it's the best book it could possibly be, and I'm hoping to be sending letters out by the beginning of March.

2. Write Novel #3. I also thought I'd have this done by now, but major life changes/Novel #2 took up all of my creativity. Last year I still wasn't sure what I wanted this novel to be. But now I do, and I'm really excited to write it.

3. Make photography a bigger part of my life. 2011 showed me how much I love taking photos. So this year I'm going to try and put together one photo collection a month of things that make me feel inspired and share it on the blog.

4. Take myself on a writing retreat. Travel + writing + long walks through beautiful landscapes = my ideal trip. I'd love to go to Ireland or Wales, finish my novel, drink dark beers, and amble along clifftops. Care to join me?

5.  Learn to play the violin. So this is something I always thought I'd do once I retire... I love love love string instruments but have never thought of myself as very musical. But lately I've been wondering why I should wait. My spindly fingers were meant to play something!

6. Run for a cause. I'd like to train for a run this year, particularly to raise funds to help find a cure for diabetes.

7. Get back in touch with Shakespeare. Teaching eighth graders Romeo and Juliet has reminded me how much I love it, and how many of Shakespeare's plays I've yet to get properly acquainted with. I'm hoping to read/see as many of them as I possibly can.


No comments:

Post a Comment