June 5, 2011

The End of an Era

The giant, three-story Borders in Brisbane city finally closed. I went to visit it several times in its final weeks in order to say goodbye--and to be one of the swooping vultures taking advantage of sale prices. It was sad seeing the shelves cleared off and barren, the books stacked up in crooked Sale bins.

It's not that I'm a huge lover of chain stores. I'm really more of a local indie girl (Avid Reader and Riverbend are my favorites in Brisbane). But as far as chains go, I've always appreciated Borders. I loved this Borders in particular, because it had a massive selection, a lot of nooks in which to sit and read, and because I made a lot of memories in it.

I was sitting in that Borders when I first realized I was actually writing a novel. It was the same place I had some long, memorable chats with my favorite Brisbane friends. It was the place where I first heard some Brisbane musicians that have gone on to feature as a major addition to my music library. It was just sad to see it coming to the end of its life. Especially so because the store looks the way feel--a little forlorn.

But it seems fitting, in a way, that Borders is shutting its doors when my own time in Australia is coming to a close. It reminds me that life is about change, and that change is not always a horrible thing. Most good things do come to an end. I believe in celebrating endings and milking them for all they're worth, and in these next two months, that's exactly what I'll be doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment