December 31, 2009

Resolution Time!

I'm a big, big fan of setting goals, writing them down and posting them up where I'll have to stare at them. I come from a long, long line of crazy "list" people. There's nothing more satisfying than taking down that list that you've been staring at and getting to cross something off it with a big, juicy marker.

Usually I do this on my birthday, which is in November, but this year the goal-making sort of slipped on by me. I've thought a lot this week about what I want to focus on this year- what I want my life to look like- and what kinds of goals will help to get me there. I've realized recently that I'm happiest when I have a clear and inspiring sense of purpose. Being a camp counselor made me happy for many reasons, but chief among those was the fact that it gave me a strong and abiding sense of purpose every day. A busy, purpose-filled Kate is a happy Kate.

My problem is that I tend to be a little overambitious. I've tried to make sure that my goals for this year are 1) within my control and 2) not completely outrageous. I wanted goals centered around what mattered to me most and that would pose a good challenge.

So here they are:

1) Outline and write full draft of novel #2.
2) Finish editing Spellbound and seek representation for it.
3) Find a job that satisfies my needs (i.e. contributes to bills, points me towards future career goals, allows time for writing).
4) Learn a new artistic skill (photography, print making... TBA)
5) Revise Alexander P. Dragon AND draw accompanying illustrations.
6) Write 1 letter a week to a friend or family member that I haven't talked to in a while.
7) Travel somewhere with Manfriend that we've never been to before.
8) Write two pieces of travel journalism and attempt to get them published.

Here's to a challenging, goal-filled New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment